Saturday, January 2, 2010

In which I am awarded the "Kreativ Blogger" badge ...


No, it's not an award for "Kreativ" spelling--as a sometime editor, I must point out that the badge was "kreated" by a Norwegian, thus the non-English spelling.

It is, however, a designation from a fellow Louisiana genealogy blogger, Jennifer Trahan of Jennifer's Genealogy Blog, because she likes my blog and has recommended it to her readers. Thanks for the encouragement, Jennifer. I do appreciate it.

The Kreativ Blogger badge comes with (often-modified) "rules," including:
1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.

So--things about me you may (or may not!) find interesting:

1. I am a Southwest Louisiana native who has been a Cajun "expatriate" in Southern California for 20 years now. I regularly crave boudin, gumbo and my mom's peach cobbler.

2. I am a 10th-generation Louisianian, if you count my ancestors who colonized Mobile, New Orleans, and the Illinois Country, all part of French Louisiana before America even existed.

3. My bachelor's degree is in music (flute performance); I've also studied journalism and fiction writing.

4. My parents are from two very different lands: North Louisiana and South Louisiana. :)

5. Only about 1/4 of my ancestry is French; I have more British Isles ancestry, but because I grew up in Southwest Louisiana, I feel more Cajun than anything else.

6. I tend to name pets after food or musicians: Roux, Miles, Ella.

7. Despite identifying most with my Cajun ancestry, I don't cook very much or speak Cajun French (I do speak & read a little "standard" French), nor am I Catholic (which is sort of like being a Cajun "expatriate" even within Louisiana). I definitely have a Cajun stomach though--the Tony Chachere's is on the dinner table right next to the salt & pepper.

7a. Yes, I do feel slightly like an imposter because I don't cook much Cajun (yet). :) Hope that doesn't diminish my blogger cred. (See #2.)

I'm having a hard time finding blogs that haven't received KBs recently & that may be of interest to my readers. Therefore, I will pass along the Kreativ Blogger badge to a couple of less active (but interesting) Louisiana bloggers in the hopes that they will post again in the near future, and to a newer blogger with a very Southern voice that reminds me of home:

Louisiana Lineage Legacies - Karen's blog has not been active lately, but perhaps I can persuade her to post again. She's an African-American researcher with North La. roots.

New Orleans Ancestry - Jennifer is a busy graduate student, but I'm hoping she can fit a post in here & there--selfishly, because my New Orleans ancestors are a current passion of mine.

Last2cu - Newish blogger Ruth is in Arkansas and writes about cemeteries and related topics. It's not Louisiana, but she's a neighbor and definitely Southern! Check out her wonderfully-titled post "Tell Me About the Dash."

No comments:

Post a Comment