Thursday, August 26, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday: Back to school in 1901 Louisiana


This is an ad I found in a 1901 Lafayette, La. Advertiser while doing genealogy research on Ancestry.com.  I thought a few of my Tiger pals would get a kick out of reading about Louisiana State University's "oldest and best Sugar Course in America" and its "Instruction thorough, modern, practical, fitting young men for success in any calling." [Sorry ladies, the first woman wasn't enrolled until 1904.]

My dad, George Hall, and his brother John both attended LSU.  Dad earned a bachelor's in biology, Uncle John in dairy science.  Both attended on the G.I. bill, I think, after World War II.

LSU opened its doors in 1860 as the Seminary of Learning of the State of Louisiana.  Hmmm, that means its 150th birthday is this year.  I can almost smell the grills firing up for some amazing tailgate celebrations this fall!

Click here for more on LSU history.

Text copyright 2010 by Liz Hall Morgan; all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment